Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Five Minute Friday: PROPOSE

This post is part of the weekly Five Minute Friday series. Five minutes of free-flow writing shared with whoever wants to read it. This week’s prompt is: PROPOSE.  

_____GO

I had spent the day in the lab, researching liver cancer, by harvesting cells from rodents.  I was so gross, but I was tired.  We had plans that night to go to UMHB's Homecoming Pep Rally.  I was going with friends instead of Jeff, but that didn't seem weird because he had to work the event.  My roommate Jan convinced me to shower. 

Jeff came over for a few minutes before we left for some reason, but I can't remember why.  I remember seeing that a friends sister got engaged, and I exclaimed "EVERYONE is getting engaged!".  I didn't even really care, but for some reason I said it anyway.

We headed over to Taco Cabana for dinner then headed to the soccer field where the fireworks show would be.  We loved fireworks, and we loved UMHB.  This was the first Homecoming since we graduated, so it made since to me that all our friends would be there.  



The pep rally was great, I'm sure, but I was really there for fireworks.  


We had a front row seat, but moved to the front to get a better look once the fireworks started.  



Jeff came over to watch with us, and I remember saying "My dad would love this".  




Once the show was done, the MC (Jeremy Williams) said, "But wait.  There's one more thing."  And Jeff turned me back toward the field, and I saw fireworks written out, "Jen Marry Me? Jeff"  


I looked back and my sweet boyfriend was down on one knee.  He said, "Jen I love you.  Will you marry me?" 



I was so surprised that I kept asking, "Wait, is this a joke?  Are you serious?" because he hadn't even told me he loved me yet... just the 'thank you' after I would tell him each time.

Alas, it wasn't a joke and after I said yes, to a crowd full of people cheering, I was turned around and all of our families were there.



It was the most special surprise I've ever gotten, and the best YES!  I've ever uttered. 

1 comment: