Friday, July 1, 2022

Five Minute Friday: AWARE

  This post is part of the weekly Five Minute Friday series. Five minutes of free-flow writing shared with whoever wants to read it. This (last's) week’s prompt is: AWARE.  

_____GO

The bigs and I were in an accident in February.  Read about it HERE.

We were smashed into from the back while sitting at a stoplight.  So, I guess my sense of security is broken.  Ever since, I have had anxiety with driving.  It's not all of the time, but at certain situations.  

I am acutely aware of anyone behind me.  I make sure we have an adequate distance, and that I have plenty of room in front of me to escape.

Any time we have to quickly slow down on a road, I immediately glance at our back mirrors and see how close the person behind us is.  Are they going to fast?  Will they be able to stop in time?  Are all four cars seats tight enough?

I didn't realize it was as bad as it was until we went on a longer trip (not just around town) and Jeff was driving on the highway, on a trip to IKEA.  Every slight touch of the break sent my heart into my throat, my eyes to the mirrors, and a crushing grip on the door.

I'm sure the more I am in the car, the better it will get. But right now, all I see in the rearview mirror are the headlights that hit us and ran. 

STOP.

No comments:

Post a Comment