Thursday, June 9, 2022

Five Minute Friday: DANGER

This post is part of the weekly Five Minute Friday series. Five minutes of free-flow writing shared with whoever wants to read it. This week’s prompt is: DANGER.  

_____GO


Ellie is right there.  
Sitting next to me while I'm on a work call.  
She's as content as could be, reaching for a snack at the table.  
As I turn my eyes back to my computer, she stands up, turns around, and flips her chair.  
On the way down she is launched headfirst into the wall, and lands, right on her ribs on the metal rod on the back of the chair.  
Her tummy immediately bruised as did the goose egg on her forehead.  
A simple slip.  
An accident.  
A trip to the ER.  
A small concussion, but no internal injuries.  
It could have been so much worse, but we were spared.  




A few weeks earlier, it was Lucy.  Not nearly as bad.
I was right there, again, as it happened.
I had my phone out, taking a photo as Ellie was on the table, using a whole bag of tortillas chips to make a snow angel.
She stepped a little too far, trying to join in on the fun and fell head first into the floor.
Another goose egg, but she was fine.




The "shoulda" and "what-ifs" are inevitable after an accident, and these two incidents were no exception.  I felt horrible, but am so grateful my babies were able to rally. 

It's all around us.  
Danger. 
I feel it a lot of times.  Sometimes it feels debilitating.  
However, I am so thankful to be blissfully naïve on most days. 
Danger unaware.  
It helps me breathe.  

No comments:

Post a Comment