Friday, April 15, 2022

Five Minute Friday: DENY

 This post is part of the weekly Five Minute Friday series. Five minutes of free-flow writing shared with whoever wants to read it. This week’s prompt is: DENY.  I am incredibly behind, but I made the goal to do every prompt this year, so I am writing a few today. Here's #3 and I'm finally caught up!


----

He walks up to the plate. I can feel the lump in his throat growing with every step he takes. I know the pressure he puts on himself to do well. I see the frustration when he’s not perfect. I can feel his tears when he strikes out or gets tagged at the base. I know what he’s thinking when the ball slips out of his glove. I can predict all the feels that come from disappointing the team.  He glances my way and I give him a deep breath of “it’s ok, baby”. He is me. 

But. 

I know the smiles that come when he makes the play. I can feel the pride radiating off of him as he rounds third base and crosses home plate. I know exactly when the look is coming my way to make sure I’m watching and seeing him thrive in the hard things.

There’s no denying he’s my boy, through and through. And I’m so grateful he’s all mine. 




—STOP—

6 comments:

  1. Oh those Mum moments - doesn't matter how old they get either. The joy and the dread of recognising how like us our children are.
    Glad you didn't go with the obvious for this week's prompt.
    Your FMF Neighbour #24

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I identify with your "Mom thoughts" - I get to do "Grandma thoughts" too!
    Just stopped by from FMF#17

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely and real! Chip off the old block! Wow, well done for doing them all. I've only recently begun and done 3 too. Happy Easter to you. Dawn FMF 21

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder how God looks at me
    now that I am ailing?
    So much I thought that I might be,
    but in these days I'm failing,
    for there's really too much pain,
    and I am just so tired.
    The ghosts of dreams that yet remain
    wait, so uninspired.
    Is He disappointed
    I can't maintain my strength?
    Does He feel that He anointed
    me for life's full length,
    and at the end of life that's mine,
    does He think I was worth His time?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a sweet boy! Loved your post.
    Visiting you from FMF #32

    ReplyDelete