Friday, January 7, 2022

Five Minute Friday: IMPORTANT

This post is part of the weekly Five Minute Friday. Five minutes of free-flow writing shared with whoever wants to read it. This week’s prompt is: IMPORTANT.

__________

We are finally here.  A time I thought we would never get to.  It seemed so impossible and so far away, yet here we are: the girls are finally on the move.  

And by on the move, I mean, they are everywhere.  In the bathroom, in the pantry.  In the trashcan, in the fridge.  In the garage, in last night's dinner still on the floor.

Eleanor (L) and Lucy (R)


With their bowed legs and diaper booty, with their t-rex arms flapping and squeals of delight, they are off. 

I never knew how important sweeping was until I was diving to fish the two day old hard boiled egg out of a tiny mouth...

I am so grateful that we have made it to this stage.  I am so exhausted now that we have made it to this stage.  I forgot how hard it was to walk through this stage!

But seriously, where did that dried up meat come from?  I JUST SWEPT!  And for the love, big kids, NO LEGOS DOWNSTAIRS!!

Yet here we are.  Doing the walking behind, making sure they don't fall.  Doing the walking before, clearing a path. Walking alongside, just to watch their beaming faces as they do something new for the first time.  And see the twinkle in their eyes wondering if they are getting caught as they do something naughty.

Plug covers, the gates on both ends of the stairs, and the dustpan are my most cherish possessions at the moment and I never thought I'd be so grateful for our monstrosity of a baby jail in the front room. 

Eleanor (L) and Lucy (R)


The important thing is that they are safe, they are learning, and they are finding joy in experiencing things for the first time.

And I am so thankful I get a front row seat.

Eleanor (L) and Lucy (R)



STOP.

3 comments:

  1. That is just joyful! You really capture the frustration and wonder of that age.
    God bless you and your family.
    Your FMF Neighbour #35

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a joy it is to read your words here. Oh, I remember those days my girls are now 20 & 25. your post brought recalls to mind. Thank you for sharing.
    FMF#33

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how you described this stage of life. I used to find cornies (or Cheese Curls) stuffed everywhere when my middle child was a toddler. She loved to save food for later ;)

    ReplyDelete