Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Five Minute Friday: Laundry

Five Minute Friday: Laundry

It's Wednesday, so you know what that means... Time for me to post my Five Minute Friday!  This past week's topic was Laundry.  Check it out here and join the fun!



_____GO______

Laundry is such an ugly word.  It stirs up feelings within me that I am ashamed of.  Words I dare not write down!

Oh laundry…

There is always too much of it. 
And absolutely NO time to do it.

There are always… and I mean always… baskets of clothes sitting around our home somewhere.  Clean?  Dirty? Who knows.  If they pass the smell test, then they are deemed clean, even if they aren’t.

Although I have nothing but disdain for laundry, I have huge attachments to clothes.

Clothes tell stories.

Clothes stir up memories.

Clothes make up my life.

Clothes tell my story.

The process of cleaning out my closet is always a struggle.  As silly as it sounds, it’s like saying goodbye to a treasured friend.  It’s like the closing of a chapter.

I no longer have

…the clothes I wore in college (except a few t-shirts)

…the clothes from our engagement pictures

…my favorite shorts

…my maternity clothes (oh the stretchy pants! RIP friends.)

As hard as purging my clothes may be, it’s so bittersweet when I turn to Jude’s tiny closet.  He can’t fit into things now.  He’s not a baby anymore (as much as I’m in denial).

But going through his closet brings back a flood of memories.

…the “I love Haiti” shirt that was his very first piece of clothing.  Thanks Lindsey!

…the yellow outfit that we chose to bring him home in. (Why didn’t anyone warn us against bringing a yellow outfit for a tiny jaundiced baby?  Warning girls… stay away from yellow.  Just in case.)

…the Baby-zilla outfit from Japan.

…the cardigan from his baby dedication.

…his first swimsuit.

…his tiny gloves to keep him from scratching his face. 

…his 3 month clothes that lasted us 6

I remember washing all of his clothes in anticipation of his arrival.  I studied each outfit, dreaming of what he would look like in them.  I folded them however you’re supposed to fold onsies…

Everything was SO tiny.  There was no way he was going to fit in them. 

But he did.  And he was so cute.  In everything!

I can’t believe there are already boxes in our storage shed of things he can’t wear anymore.  Where did this year go?  (If you haven't yet and you're interested, HERE is Jude's birth story!)

As hard as it may be, looking back only makes me look forward to the future even more!

_____STOP_____


1 comment:

  1. Love it! Thanks for sharing! Came from FMF...

    ReplyDelete